- Caregiver Core Training (CCT) is a 24-hour training required for all foster families prior to becoming licensed. This training can be taken online or in-person.
- Youthnet offers monthly orientation meetings. If you're not able to make it to orientation in person, you can participate in an online orientation.
- Keep the Beat provides free CPR/First Aid classes for foster parents.
- Fostering Together provides monthly support group meetings for foster parents, training opportunities, and more. Find a link to their upcoming events here.
- Department of Children, Youth, and Families contact directory
- The Skagit Kid Insider and Whatcom Kid Insider websites are an excellent resource for family-friendly activities in our community.
All foster parents are required to participate in relevant training each year. This is a great opportunity to gain parenting skills, better understand the effects of trauma, and meet other local foster parents. Here are some suggestions that might fit your training plan. As a reminder, if you wish to participate in a training that doesn't fit your training plan, please send us an email prior to signing up to make sure you will receive credit. Alliance provides many local and online trainings specific to foster care. Sign up to receive email updates about upcoming trainings in your area.
- So You Have Your First Placement, Now What? - Online webinar, 3 hours
- Multi-ethnic Placement Act (MEPA): What Caregivers Need to Know - Online, 0.5 hours
- Prudent Parenting - Online, 0.75 hours
- Youth Missing From Care - Online, 1.0 hour
- Parent-Child Visitation - Online, 0.75 hour
- Medication Administration for Caregivers - Online, 0.5 hours
- Mandatory Reporting Toolkit - Online, 0.75 hours
- Introduction to the Indian Child Welfare Act - Online, 3.0 hours
- Identifying and Supporting Commercially Sexually Exploited Children - Online,1.5 hours
- Infant Safety & Care - Online, 3 hours
- Effects of Abuse and Neglect on Child Development - Online, 3.0 hours
- Intake Hotline for reports of suspected abuse or neglect: 1-866-ENDHARM (1-866-363-4276)
- 24/7 on-call support for current Youthnet foster families:
- (360) 421-2049 (traditional foster care)
- (360) 202-7765 (therapeutic foster care)